We went through several permutations of ingredients to come up with this easy brownie recipe for the best brownies with no eggs. Eggs typically give baked good a nice rise and it’s not easy to get the same texture with replacements. However, try this recipe and we promise you won’t notice the difference. In fact, you may never go back to your regular brownies after trying this one. Just give it a try. You know you want to.
Dense, rich, fudgy and gooey brownies in about 30 minutes!
We have replaced egg with *drum roll* APPLESAUCE. This recipe calls for 1/4 th cup of applesauce and can be easily doubled. If you don’t have applesauce on hand, you can easily make your own. Here’s a simple recipe for applesauce.
Applesauce for this easy brownie recipe
- Peel and core an apple.
- Cut it in small pieces and transfer into a small saucepan.
- Add just enough water to cover the apple.
- Bring the saucepan to a boil and simmer until apples are cooked. The water will almost disappear.
- Once cool, puree the apples in a blender and use in your recipe.
Another important ingredient in this recipe for best brownies is salted butter. YES, you heard that right. Not unsalted like most baked goods call for. Use salted butter. If you don’t have salted butter in your refrigerator, only then use unsalted but then increase the amount of salt in the recipe to 1/4 teaspoon.
The most important ingredient that will make or break this recipe is chocolate. It is important to pick quality chocolate. We use Ghirardelli semi-sweet baking chocolate bar in our recipe but honestly, any other quality bar works fine. Same goes for your chocolate chips. We recommend cooling the brownies completely and then waiting another 4-5 hours before digging in. You can put a scoop of ice-cream before serving but we like ours naked. A scoop of Haagen Dazs’ dulce de leche pairs very well with the brownie.
We used cast-iron mini skillets to bake our brownies because they looked so cute and we love cast iron. However, any baking dish with a bit of a lip is fine. Make sure you don’t fill the batter right up to the top. Leave some room for the brownie to rise. We filled the skillets about halfway. If you are interested in mini-skillets, try our affiliate link.
If you like this eggless brownie recipe, you may also like our vegan banana bread and our vegan mango pancakes. Also, check out my youtube channel and subscribe to it to receive updates on new recipes.
Recipe for the best brownies
- 4 oz (good quality) semi-sweet chocolate bar or 1/2 cup of chocolate bar
- ¼ cup salted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar tightly packed
- ¼ cup applesauce see text for an easy recipe
- ½ inch vanilla bean extract or ½ tsp vanilla liquid extract
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Melt chocolate bar and butter in a mixing bowl in a microwave (takes about 20 seconds).
- Stir well until chocolate and butter are well incorporated.
- Mix in brown sugar, vanilla and apple sauce and whisk until well combined.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl.
- Fold to combine and then stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into mini cast-iron skillets or a baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only. Actual numbers may be different from those provided below. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
10 thoughts on “Easy Brownie Recipe”
The texture and aroma of the brownies were fantastic. Keep exploring new recipes Food Life and Money.
Tried this brownie after exploring a ton….. definitely a keeper…. really the best brownie recipe hands down!!! And that too eggless ❤️❤️❤️
You made my day! I am so happy you liked the recipe. This is my favorite recipe for brownies 🙂
If you are looking for an eggless brownie recipe, give this tasty recipe a try!
Loved that this was eggless and used brown sugar. Delicious!
These really are great brownies! Thank you for the reicpes 🙂
If someone does not own mini cast iron skillets then what can be used as a substitute to bake the brownies in?
Hi Ann-Marie, you can use a regular baking pan or cake pan. Any oven-safe dish with a lip will do. I have baked these in pyrex.
If don’t want to use applesauce than what is the option
Hi Priya, thanks for stopping by. You can use plain yogurt instead of applesauce. Let me know how it turns out.