Veg Manchurian is a very popular Indochinese recipe. “What is Indochinese cuisine?”, you may ask. I am glad that you did. I am here to tell you that :).
Indochinese food is said to have been invented by people of Chinese origin living in eastern India. And it is a perfect confluence of Indian and Chinese ingredients. Here are some basic ingredients every Indochinese recipe contains – ginger, garlic, scallions, green chilies, red chilies, soy sauce, and cornstarch.
Veg Manchurian is my husband’s favorite and I love making it for him. The first part of the recipe is a bit time consuming, however, the effort can be spread over 2 days. Making the Manchurian balls and frying them takes up most of the time. The balls can be made ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen. Also, make sure to adjust the spice levels to your liking.
I typically use cabbage, carrots and cauliflower for the vegetable balls but I have heard people also use green peppers, celery, spring onions. Veg Manchurian goes well with fried rice or steamed rice. It works great as a winter or fall meal.
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 cup cabbage
- 1 carrot
- 1 cup cauliflower
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp red chili sauce
- 1 tsp green chili sauce
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- oil for frying
- 3 tsp oil
- 1 bunch spring onions sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp red chili sauce
- 2 tsp green chili sauce
- 2 tsp ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp cornflour in 1/2 cup water
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Mince garlic and ginger. Use a food processor if you have one.
- Finely chop all the vegetables so that there is some texture to the mixture. It should not be a smooth paste.
- Add all the sauces, cornflour and all-purpose flour.
- Mix well into a dough-like mix. Make small balls using your hands.
- Heat oil in a fryer and fry all the veggie balls on medium heat till they turn golden brown. Set them aside.
- At this point, you may proceed to the next step immediately or store them in the freezer for later use.
For the gravy
- Heat oil in another pan.
- Saute spring onion whites, minced ginger and minced garlic.
- Add all the sauces, water and bring it to a boil. Add the spring onion greens.
- Add red chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir in cornflour dissolved in water and simmer.
- Add the fried veggie balls and simmer for a few minutes.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve hot.
Happy Eating and Feeding!