Coconut is an essential ingredient of Goan cuisine. This fish curry is another easy recipe that is ready in minutes. Freshly grated coconut makes the best Goan curry, however, you can use frozen coconut if fresh coconut is not available. If using fresh coconut, you may want to consider using a coconut scraper. We have used fresh pomfret but this curry tastes just as good with butter fish. We personally don’t prefer pompano but that is also an option if pomfret or butterfish are not available.
Make sure the fish is absolutely fresh. The way to identify this is the skin. The skin of fresh pomfret will shine. If you lift the gill of the fish, it should’t be dry. It should be red and sticky. In Goa, fish is not cut in steaks, it is cut thin so it can absorb the flavor of the curry. Once you cut and clean the fish, rub some salt on the fish (about a teaspoon) and let it marinate for at least an hour for the best flavor. If pomfret is unavailable, butter fish is your next best choice for this recipe. Many people also like pompano but we are not very fond of it.
Goan fish curry with coconut and ginger
- 1 pomfret or butterfish large
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- ½ inch ginger grated
- 1 green chili roughly chopped
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp chili powder more as needed
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- salt as needed
- pea-sized ball of tamarind
- Cut and clean 1 large pomfret.
- Marinate with about ½ a teaspoon of salt for an hour or so.
- Heat a pan and add oil.
- Add chopped onion, ginger and green chili and sauté.
- Add tomatoes and cook until oil separates.
- Add coconut, chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and tamarind water to the fish and mix.
- Add the fish to the pan and stir gently.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Turn the fish to cook on the other side.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the fish is cooked. The fish will turn whitish and opaque.
- Sprinkle cilantro and serve with rice and sol kadhi.
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only. Actual numbers may be different from those provided below. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.