Stuffed pomfret recipe is a very popular dish in the coastal regions of India. The fish has a very mild flavor. So if you have never eaten fish and want to try it, I would highly recommend a pomfret. The fish itself cooks in minutes.
The stuffing can be made ahead of time. I usually make it in bulk and freeze it in small containers. The filling of this stuffed pomfret recipe suffices for 12 whole fish. Make sure that the fish is shiny when you buy it for the best taste. The most important tip to have the right crusty fish is to shallow fry the fish evenly on both the sides on a medium to slow flame.
If you are planning to have guests over, most of the work can be made ahead of time. You can make the stuffing a few days in advance and prep the fish a day before. Once that’s done, the only job on the day is to actually fry the fish. Pair the rice with lentils and rice or some salad.
You may even explore one of my popular fish recipe – Pan Fried Pomfret Fish Recipe.
Also, for the updates on our recipes don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube Channel.
- 12 whole pomfret fish
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 5 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 small piece tamarind substitute with lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp water
- 1/2 cup semolina
- 1/2 cup rice powder
- oil for frying
- Clean fish and slit it in the middle so there is room for you to stuff with the green sauce
- Rub salt on the outside and the inside of the fish and set aside for 15 minutes
- In a grinder, take all the ingredients for the green paste and blend into a fine paste
- Take the ingredients for the red paste and mix to a pasty consistency with water
- Stuff the green paste inside the fish and apply the red paste liberally to the outside
- Coat the fish in a mix of semolina and rice powder and shallow fry in oil on both sides.
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only. Actual numbers may be different from those provided below. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Happy Feeding and Eating!