This fried fish recipe can be had as main course or split as an appetizer. Very easy to make, it is a perfect recipe for a relaxed evening. Crispy on the outside & soft and flaky on the inside! You can pair it with a glass of Prosecco. A must explore recipe if you are a fish lover.
I have made this pan fired pomfret in typical Goan / Konkani style . This fired fish recipe uses only 5 ingredients – turmeric powder, red chili powder, ginger and garlic and rice flour /semolina mix. Ginger and garlic are optional. You may feel free to skip them. Also, you can use just the rice flour or just the semolina. Semolina will make the outer layer more crispy compared to just rice flour. Therefore, for this fried fish recipe, I generally use a mix of both rice flour and semolina for the perfect crispy crust.
Make sure fish is absolutely fresh. The way to identify this is the skin. The skin of fresh pomfret will shine. If you lift the gill of fish, it should not be dry. It should be red and sticky. In Goa, fish is not cut in steaks, it is cut thin so it can absorb the curry flavor. Once you cut and clean the fish, rub some salt on the fish (about a teaspoon) and let it marinate for at least an hour for the best flavor. If pomfret is unavailable, butter fish is your next best choice for this recipe. Many people also like pompano, but I am personally not very fond of it.
Easy Pan-fried fish recipe
- Cut and clean a large pomfret. See notes for picking fresh fish.
- Apply salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, ginger and garlic paste to the fish. Marinate for an hour.
- Heat a cast iron pan and pour some oil.
- In a plate, mix rice flour and semolina.
- Coat the marinated fish pieces with the rice flour mix and lay them in hot oil to fry for a few minutes.
- Turn after a few minutes turn to fry on other sides.
- As fish cooks, it turns opaque and the outsides will be crisp.
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only. Actual numbers may be different from those provided below. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Also, for the updates on our recipes don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube Channel.