Goan curries, fish or vegetarian, are very easy to make. This pomfret fish curry is smooth with little tangy taste from tamarind. Primary ingredient in any Goan fish curry is coconut. Freshly grated coconut makes the best Goan curry, however, you can use frozen coconut if fresh coconut is not available. If using fresh coconut, you may want to consider using a coconut scraper.
Other ingredients in a Goan curry are coriander seeds, tamarind and onion. For additional flavor, we use turmeric powder, red chili powder or paprika and salt. All these ingredients are readily available in Indian or international stores.
Of course, we don’t want to forget the fish here. Make sure the fish is absolutely fresh. The way to identify this is the skin. The skin of fresh pomfret will shine. If you lift the gill of the fish, it should’t be dry. It should be red and sticky. In Goa, fish is not cut in steaks, it is cut thin so it can absorb the flavor of the curry. Once you cut and clean the fish, rub some salt on the fish (about a teaspoon) and let it marinate for at least an hour for the best flavor. If pomfret is unavailable, butter fish is your next best choice for this recipe. Many people also like pompano but we are not very fond of it.
If you like this recipe, you will surely like our Goan Stuffed Pomfret recipe.
Also, for the updates on our recipes don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube Channel.
Authentic Goan Pomfret Fish Curry
- Marinate the fish with about a teaspoon of salt for about an hour.
- Blend coconut, sliced onions, coriander seeds, tamarind, turmeric powder, and red chili powder with a little water to make a smooth paste.
- Heat a pan on medium flame, add oil.
- Add onions and saute until golden brown.
- Add the coconut paste and water and bring to a boil.
- Add the fish and give it a gentle stir. Let the fish immerse in the curry so that it cooks.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- When fish changes color to about white and becomes opaque, the fish is cooked.
- Adjust consistency by adding more water if needed.
- Serve hot with rice and sol kadhi (mangosteen curry).
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only. Actual numbers may be different from those provided below. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.