I love the summer. It brings with it beautiful flowers, warmer weather, less rain and mangoes. Lots and lots of mangoes. Mango in any recipe is like summer in a bowl. Add some mango to your regular sheera or sooji ka halwa and it becomes divine. Mango sheera can be refrigerated for upto 4 days.
Make it in the morning and serve it hot for breakfast. Chill it and serve it after a meal and it becomes dessert. Please try it once. You will not regret it.
I have used the Atulfo variety of mangoes in this recipe. There are hundreds of different breeds of mangoes. To learn more about mangoes, click here. My favorite one is Mancurad from Goa. It is the sweetest mango you will ever have tasted. Last year I tried planting a mango seed. The plant is in a pot because it won’t survive the harsh winter in our region. It will likely be a dwarf tree but it is doing well so far. I have it by my basement door in a large pot. So it gets some sunlight during the day.
- 1 cup semolina or rava
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 mangoes peeled, cored and pulped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4-1/2 cup sugar depends on sweetness of mangoes
- 1/4 cup cashewnuts chopped
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 pinch salt
- Saute rava or semolina in ghee over medium flame.
- Stir in cashewnuts.
- Add hot water and mango pulp. The total amount of liquid should be at least 2 cups.
- Add sugar, salt, saffron and cardamom powder and stir continuously until the sheera thickens.
- After sheera thickens, taste it and see if you need to add some more sugar.
- Garnish with chopped mango. Serve hot as breakfast or chilled as dessert.
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only. Actual numbers may be different from those provided below. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Other semolina based sweet recipes – watermelon cake, jackfruit cake, sheera.
Happy Feeding and Eating!
2 thoughts on “Mango Sheera Recipe”
Mango sheera looks delicous. My favorite.
I love mangoes and am excited to try this recipe. It looks so refreshingly good and a nice Summer treat