The name monkey bread comes from the fact that this bread is a pull-apart bread and you would pick it apart with your fingers like a monkey would. This delicious gooey monkey bread is made from scratch. I have used my Zojirushi bread maker to make the dough but you can very easily use a stand mixer with a dough attachment or use your hands to knead it.
If you are not using a bread machine, make sure to knead the dough for 15 to 20 minutes. To make chocolate sauce, use good quality chocolate. I love Ghirardeli baking chocolate because it tastes great but feel free to use any other brand. The great thing about the bread is that you can make it a day ahead. Just be sure to serve it warm to get the gooey chocolate goodness. Enjoy it as a holiday breakfast or as a party dessert!
I use a bundt pan for the recipe to get a beautifully shaped bread but you can use any cake pan or bread pan. Be sure to allow room for the bread to rise.
Chocolate Monkey Bread Recipe
- ⅔ cup milk
- 4 tbsp milk
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- 2 eggs beaten
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp salt
For Chocolate Sauce
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 4 oz chocolate
- ½ cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- salt to taste
- In a bread machine, add milk, eggs, and butter.
- Add flour and make a well.
- Add yeast, salt, and sugar.
- Select dough mode and wait for the cycle to complete.
- If not using a bread machine, knead by hand or in a stand mixer for 20 minutes and rest the dough for an hour.
- After dough cycle completes, divide dough into about 20 parts, roll them into small balls.
- Dip the dough balls in chocolate sauce and arrange in a well-greased bundt pan.
- Cover and rest for about 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, bake in pre-heated oven at 350°F for about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Combine ingredients for chocolate sauce and microwave to melt the chocolate.
- Stir to combine well.
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only. Actual numbers may be different from those provided below. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.