Baguette – This crusty French bread tastes delicious just by itself or with a drizzle of olive oil or balsamic vinaigrette. My favorite way to relish this bread is slices with a slather of homemade garlic butter.
This baguette requires only 5 ingredients – bread flour, water, butter, salt and dry yeast. Some people skip butter but it adds nice soft crumb and crispy crust making the bread absolutely delicious.
I used the Zojirushi bread machine to make dough but any bread machine works. If you don’t have bread machine, mix the dough in a stand mixer or knead it. What I like about Zojirushi is that it doesn’t require me to supervise anything. I just select the regular dough mode and when the dough is ready, the machine beeps to let me know.
The rest, knead, rise cycle takes about 2 hours and 10 minutes. After which, you shape the dough into baguettes and let rise for another 45 minutes. After the second rise, you slash the dough using a lame or a very sharp knife and immediately bake at 450° F for about 25-30 minutes in a baguette pan. If you don’t have a baguette pan, use a cookie sheet or any other pan of appropriate length. Bread is baked alongside a dish filled with water to allow the bread to bake with moisture.
Once baked, turn off oven, open the door to about 2 inches and let the bread cool with the oven. Take it out and enjoy freshly-baked bread.
If you like our baguettes, we are sure you will love our Indian dinner rolls, our sourdough bread and our white bread loaf.
Do you love cooking? If Yes, then you should definitely Stay tuned to stunning recipes by liking our Facebook page and subscribing to our YouTube channel
- 1⅓ cups water
- 4¼ cups bread flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- In a bread machine pan, add water, butter, and flour.
- Make a well in the flour, add yeast and salt so that yeast doesn't get wet.
- Turn on the dough cycle.
- After the cycle runs, take out the dough and make 3 parts.
- Shape each portion into a baguette as shown in the video.
- Transfer to a baguette pan or a regular pan.
- Let the loaves rise for about 45 minutes upto 2 hours.
- Preaheat your oven to 450°F or 235°C. Place water in an oven proof dish on the bottom rack.
- Bake the baguettes on the middle rack above the pan of water for about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and open the oven door.
- Let the baguettes cool.
- Once cool, take out the baguettes from the oven and enjoy!
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only. Actual numbers may be different from those provided below. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
1 thought on “Easy crusty French bread | Baguette recipe”
Nothing tastes as delicious as homemade bread. I’ve been intimidated to make my own baguettes, but it couldn’t be easier! Great recipe. Thanks.