Baguette – This crusty French bread tastes delicious just by itself or with a drizzle of olive oil or balsamic vinaigrette. My favorite way to relish this bread is slices with a slather of homemade garlic butter.
This baguette requires only 5 ingredients – bread flour, water, butter, salt and dry yeast. Some people skip butter but it adds nice soft crumb and crispy crust making the bread absolutely delicious.
I used the Zojirushi bread machine to make dough but any bread machine works. If you don’t have bread machine, mix the dough in a stand mixer or knead it. What I like about Zojirushi is that it doesn’t require me to supervise anything. I just select the regular dough mode and when the dough is ready, the machine beeps to let me know.
The rest, knead, rise cycle takes about 2 hours and 10 minutes. After which, you shape the dough into baguettes and let rise for another 45 minutes. After the second rise, you slash the dough using a lame or a very sharp knife and immediately bake at 450° F for about 25-30 minutes in a baguette pan. If you don’t have a baguette pan, use a cookie sheet or any other pan of appropriate length. Bread is baked alongside a dish filled with water to allow the bread to bake with moisture.
Once baked, turn off oven, open the door to about 2 inches and let the bread cool with the oven. Take it out and enjoy freshly-baked bread.
- Bread Machine – https://amzn.to/30W4qyq
- Baguette bread pan – https://amzn.to/3lzcyN0
- 1⅓ cups water
- 4¼ cups bread flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- In a bread machine pan, add water, butter, and flour.
- Make a well in the flour, add yeast and salt so that yeast doesn't get wet.
- Turn on the dough cycle.
- After the cycle runs, take out the dough and make 3 parts.
- Shape each portion into a baguette as shown in the video.
- Transfer to a baguette pan or a regular pan.
- Let the loaves rise for about 45 minutes upto 2 hours.
- Preaheat your oven to 450°F or 235°C. Place water in an oven proof dish on the bottom rack.
- Bake the baguettes on the middle rack above the pan of water for about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and open the oven door.
- Let the baguettes cool.
- Once cool, take out the baguettes from the oven and enjoy!