Breadfruit Recipe is a typical food of the Coastal regions of India and other Southeast Asian countries and are very popular vegetarian appetizers in these regions. In Goa it is famous as Nirponos. The fruit is green on outside and white from inside. If you wish to, you may explore breadfruit’s health benefits here. The fruit needs to be peeled & sliced before cooking. The breadfruit recipe video details out the instructions for the same.
The most important preparation tip is to sprinkle a generous amount of salt and let the breadfruit slices sit in the salt for about 15 to 20 minutes to absorb flavor. Once done, fry the slices till they turn slightly brown, flip on the other side to do the same. To keep it gluten-free, use only rice flour to coat before frying. Breadfruit fries are perfectly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
Serve these fires as an appetizer in itself or as a side dish with the main course. Nevertheless, the crispy crust makes it irresistible at just few. It tastes great with rice and lentils or sol kadhi. Try this baked chicken wings recipe as a non-veg category appetizer.
Breadfruit Fries Recipe
- 1 breadfruit
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- oil for shallow frying
- water few drops
- 1/4 cup Semolina + rice flour
- Cut the breadfruit in 1/8ths. Slice each eighth in 1/2 in slices.
- Cut the skin and the core off.
- Wash the slices and add salt. Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Add turmeric and red chili powder. Coat well.
- Roll in a mixture of rice powder and semolina and shallow fry in oil.
- Sprinkle some water and a little oil.
- Cover with a plate and cook for a few minutes.
- Flip and cook on the other side.
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only. Actual numbers may be different from those provided below. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Happy Eating and Feeding!