You won’t believe how easy and decadent this mango dessert is until you try it. It uses only 3 ingredients. No oven? no problem! Use a pot to create a steamer on the stove top. After you chill the pudding, it sets to a firm consistency.
Use whole milk yogurt for a rich taste. I make my own yogurt about once in three weeks. The taste is fabulous. If you don’t have homemade yogurt, pick up a pack from the store. Condensed milk and mango pulp is all you need. Canned pulp is perfectly fine. If you are using fresh mangoes, you may want to add some additional sugar depending on the sweetness of the mangoes. Also, in the fresh mango variety, stick to atulfo, kesar or alphonso mangoes.
Optional ingredients for mango dessert
This is entirely optional – if you have heavy cream, add 1/4th cup for a richer mango dessert. Saffron is used for garnishing but it is entirely optional. I buy my saffron at Costco. It’s aromatic and slightly cheaper than other options. Cardamom powder is also optional. This is the green variety of cardamom. You should be able to find it at an Indian or East Asian store. You have to peel the outer covering and then grind the inner seeds to a fine powder for a fresh taste. These stores also sell powdered cardamom. This is entirely optional.
Mango Yogurt Pudding Recipe
- Mix all the ingredients (except saffron) together using a wire whisk in a large mixing bowl.
- Gently pour the mixture in ramekins or any ovenproof vessels.
- Sprinkle the top of the ramekins with a few strands of saffron.
- Put the ramekins in a water bath. For the water bath, you can take a large oven proof dish and add water so that the water level is about half the height of the ramekins.
- Cover the ramekins with aluminum foil.
- Bake the pudding at 400° F for 20 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven and cool them to room temperature.
- Chill the ramekins in the refrigerator for a couple of hours for a hard set.
- Enjoy your delicious mango dessert.
- Saffron is entirely optional. It is only added as a garnish and won’t alter the taste of the pudding much.
- Heavy cream is optional as well. It will give the dessert a richer taste but the pudding sets just as great without the cream.
- You can used pulp from fresh mangoes or from a tin. If you need the pudding to be sweeter, feel free to stir in some sugar.
- If you don’t have an oven, use a steamer on stove top. You can use a big pot with water in it to steam the pudding.
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only. Actual numbers may be different from those provided below. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.