Shahi paneer is an Indian recipe made with paneer or Indian cottage cheese. The gravy is creamy and delicious. We used cashew nuts to thicken it but you can also use blanched almonds. Adding heavy whipping cream is entirely optional but it definitely adds to the richness of this restaurant-style shahi paneer recipe.
Tips for making the perfect restaurant-style shahi paneer
If you plan to buy paneer, look for malai paneer in the refrigerator section of your international store. Malai paneer tends to cook soft and tastes better than regular paneer. All ingredients used in the recipe should be readily available in Indian and international stores. Kasuri methi is optional but it does add a nice taste to the dish. You can make your own kasuri methi. Just wash fresh fenugreek leaves and dry them in shade. Once dried, store them in an airtight container for up to a year. If possible, use freshly ground cardamom powder for the best taste.
- 1 lb paneer (Indian cottage cheese) about ½ kg cut into cubes or desired shapes
- 3-4 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 7-8 whole peppercorns
- 5-6 cardamom pods
- 1 medium-sized onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ inch ginger
- 1 tomato
- ¼ cup cashews
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp kasuri methi dried fenugreek leaves
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp heavy cream optional
- salt to taste
- chopped cilantro garnish
- water as needed
- Blend tomato and cashews and keep aside.
- In a pan, melt ghee on medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cardamom pods, whole peppercorns, and cinnamon stick.
- Sauté for a minute and add onions, minced garlic and minced ginger.
- Brown slightly and add tomato-cashew paste.
- Sauté until fat separates.
- Add the dry spices – turmeric, chili, cumin-coriander, garam masala powders.
- Add sugar and salt as needed and add a cup of water slowly to dissolve lumps.
- Add more spices as needed and bring to a boil.
- Add paneer.
- Add dried fenugreek leaves and cardamom powder.
- Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and stir in heavy cream.
- Give it a last stir and serve with rice or naan or roti.
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only. Actual numbers may be different from those provided below. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Check out my new stock market course on YouTube.
1 thought on “Shahi Paneer Recipe”
This is a very good recipe for making cashew paneer gravy.