Russian tea cakes, also know as Italian wedding cookies or butterballs, are very popular around Christmas. Although they are called cakes, these are actually very crumbly cookies. They almost have a shortbread kind of a texture. I usually make three or four batches to distribute to friends and family. Everyone loves them. These are very easy to make and require very few ingredients. Yet they are absolutely delicious.
You may substitute pecans or almonds for walnuts. This is a classic recipe that will make you popular with your friends and family. I promise you that you will need to make more than one batch. Be warned that if you make them a lot of days ahead of Christmas, you are going to run out of them and will need to make more. Dig into some buttery goodness. Do try these Russian tea cakes and feed them to your loved ones. You are going to love them and your family and friends will thank you.
I find the KitchenAid mixer really useful while baking. A stand mixer saves a lot of time and effort compared to using a hand mixer.
Russian tea cakes
- 2 cups flour
- 6 tbsp confectioners sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup confectioners sugar for rolling cookies
- 1/4 tsp salt optional
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Cream together unsalted butter and vanilla in a stand mixer. You may also use a hand mixer instead.
- Add sugar, salt and mix.
- Add flour and finally add the chopped walnuts. Mix into a sticky cookie dough.
- Roll into small 1 inch balls and space them at least an inch apart on a cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Cool them completely and roll in confectioners sugar.
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only. Actual numbers may be different from those provided below. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Here’s a recipe to another favorite Christmas dessert. British Christmas pudding.
You must also try our warm and delicious mawa cake.
Happy Eating and Feeding!