I learned this recipe from a dear friend from Kerala who was also my roommate for two years. Hers was the best pepper chicken recipe I had tasted and so here is my attempt at replicating it. The recipe has a dominant flavor from whole peppercorns. It is a great recipe for winter months and will definitely help you treat your cold or sore throat. The coconut oil and the curry leaves in the chicken will give you the taste of God’s own country, as Kerala is fondly referred to.
Besides adding an amazing flavor, pepper has many health benefits. It is anti-imflammatory, aids in digestion, and helps with ear-aches and colds in addition to several other benefits.
Please do not skip any ingredients for best flavor. You can adjust the quantities of spices to your liking. I usually use less oil than shown in the video but you can adjust that to your liking. However, please don’t forget the coconut oil and the curry leaves for an authentic flavor.
I love this recipe not just because it tastes so great but also I have some fond memories associated with it. I had some of the best conversations with some of the best people while relishing a plate of this Kerala style hot hot pepper chicken.
- Marinate chicken with turmeric powder, salt, garam masala, turmeric, and cumin and coriander powder. Set aside for about an hour.
- In a pan, heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add bay leaf and cinnamon sticks.
- Fry sliced onions until golden brown.
- Add chicken and cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Add freshly powdered peppercorn and fennel seeds to the chicken.
- Stir well and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- Stir in some curry leaves.
- Add a teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Cook for a few minutes and serve with roti or rice.
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only. Actual numbers may be different from those provided below. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Click here for a great chicken biryani recipe.
Happy Feeding and Eating!