This hearty and delicious Irish lamb stew recipe will make a cold day warm and drive away your winter blues. Moreover, it is also very healthy, with vegetables and protein all packed in one meal. I love the fact that this Irish stew contains both meat and veggies. The prep time is only 20 minutes. It needs to be slow cooked for the most tender and juicy meat.
The stew tastes great by itself or with bread. I love the flavor of fresh thyme in it. You can substitute dried thyme if fresh thyme isn’t available. I have also used rosemary in this Irish lamb stew recipe and it tastes equally great.
You may also use a slow cooker instead of a stock pot. Just put all the ingredients in the cooker and cook for 8 to 10 hours and you have a great meal ready for you when you get home from work. Make sure to brown the meat on all sides before adding it to the cooker.
Irish lamb stew
- 3 lbs lamb stew meat
- 2 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 5-6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 5-6 small potatoes washed and quartered
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp butter adjust to liking
- Wash the meat and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, mix the meat, salt, pepper and flour.
- Heat a wide pan and add half the butter.
- Spread the meat in a single layer in the melted butter.
- Brown on each side on high flame for about two minutes.
- Transfer the meat to a stock pot and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining butter and sauté minced garlic and onions. Transfer the sautéed onions and garlic to the meat in the stock pot.
- Add chicken stock and water and cook on medium for about an hour or until the meat is tender.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, bay leaf and thyme to the pot and stir in the white wine.
- Simmer on low for about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Serve with bread or by itself and enjoy the delicious stew.
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only. Actual numbers may be different from those provided below. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Happy Eating & Happy Feeding!