Watermelon cake or dhondas is another no-egg, no-sugar variation of the jackfruit dhondas. Typically eaten as breakfast, it is also a healthy snack. Jaggery adds some minerals and vitamins to the dish and the pink color makes it very tempting. Also, this recipe has semolina or rava instead of the traditional all-purpose flours used in most cake recipes and a small amount of ghee replaces unsalted butter.
Making the cake a day in advance makes for a nice lazy weekend breakfast or a tea-time snack.affiliate marketing
- 1 cup rava or semolin
- 2 tsp ghee
- 2 cups watermelon juice made fresh
- 1/4 cup jaggery adjust sweetness to your taste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 handful cashewnuts
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Roast rava in ghee until it is slightly brown and aromatic. Set it aside.
- In a container bring watermelon juice to a boil.
- Add salt and jaggery and stir until it is combined.
- Stir in the roasted rava and stir well until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Add cardamom powder and nuts.
- When the mixture is thick enough, start leveling it with the back of a spoon.
- Cover the vessel and place in on top of a thick tava or griddle on a low flame for 10 minutes.
- Cool the cake, cut it and enjoy.
Another favorite rava-based recipe can be found here.
Happy Feeding and Eating!