Sheera, also known as sooji ka halva, is officially the most popular breakfast recipe in our household. I make it about once a week, sometimes twice. It is loaded with ghee. Add fruits and nuts to make it more delicious.
The most popular fruit options are bananas, pineapples, apples, and mangoes. Have it for breakfast, dessert or as an afternoon snack. We make a much richer version of the recipe as an offering during Satyanarayan pooja.
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup rava or semolina
- 1 tbsp cashewnuts
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 banana sliced
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup sugar adjust quantity for sweetness
- 1 pinch saffron strands
- Melt ghee in a pan.
- Stir in some rava or semolina and saute until it is slightly brown on medium low.
- Add nuts and raisins.
- Add sliced banana and stir.
- Add a pinch of salt and cardamom powder.
- Finally add hot water and keep stirring.
- Add a few saffron strands and stir on medium low until the sheera thickens.
Click here for another popular Indian dessert.