Explore this Indian Dinner Rolls Bread Recipe or the Laadi Pav Recipe and I bet you won’t miss Mumbai laadi pav any more. Also called as Dinner Rolls, were probably what I missed the most (after family) post leaving Mumbai. I took these dinner rolls for granted and therefore never tried baking them when I lived in India. Most of the breads available here at local stores have a lot of sugar and taste very sweet and as a result, I explored my own variant of dinner rolls.
Further, laadi pav pairs well with pav bhaji, chicken curry, usal, and a lot of other curries as well. Local store bought out breads do not do justice to these curries. Often times, these breads are sweet. I only add a teaspoon of sugar to my dough and is not sweet. This Indian Bread Recipe is very simple to make and it will not disappoint you.
Indian bread tastes heavenly with a slather of butter on it and a cup of masala chai. This reminds me of Mumbai’s hit Irani bun maska!
I find the KitchenAid mixer really useful for making dough. Stand mixers save so much time and effort compared to using your hands to knead.
Indian bread rolls (Laadi pav)
- 3 cups flour
- 1.25 cups water slightly warm
- 2.25 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- In a stand mixer, mix warm water, sugar and dry yeast.
- Proof for 10 minutes to make sure that the yeast is not dead.
- Add flour, salt and butter and knead on medium for about 5 minutes.
- Cover the dough and set aside. The dough will double in size in about an hour. Wait longer if the weather is cold.
- Knead the dough a little and divide into 12 equal portions.
- Roll each portion in a ball and place on a greased pan.
- Cover with a muslin cloth and keep in a warm place for about an hour.
- Preheat the over to 450 degrees and bake the bread in preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes.
- Enjoy your bread with pav bhaji, keema or any curry of your choice.
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only. Actual numbers may be different from those provided below. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Happy Eating and Feeding!