How to make white sauce at home – Easy Béchamel Sauce Recipe
White sauce or Bechamel sauce is very easy to make and we use it in a variety of dishes such as pasta, lasagna, pizza, baked chicken, fish and vegetables. Our recipe is very simple and takes all of 10 minutes or less.
We make a roux of white flour and butter and add milk to make a thick sauce. Then add grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. We like to add a little garlic and some herbs for a little bit of flavor but feel free to skip if you don’t like the flavor of a particular herb or if it is unavailable. In this particular recipe, we have used some dried herbs but you can use fresh herbs if they are available. Just double the quantity when using fresh herbs.
If you like white sauce on pizzas, try our delicious apple gorgonzola pizza. Also, for immediate updates, don’t forget to like and subscribe to our Youtube channel and if you like this recipe, please share our link with your loved ones.
Easy 10-minute White Sauce or Béchamel sauce
- Sauce pan
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp white flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- ½ tsp dried basil or 1 tsp fresh basil
- ½ tsp dried rosemary or 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- ½ tsp dried oregano or 1 tsp fresh oregano
- salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- Heat a saucepan over low flame.
- Melt butter, add flour and sauté till it's slightly brown.
- Add milk and stir continuously till all the lumps break down.
- Bring the milk to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add cheese, garlic, herbs and salt.
- Simmer for a minute and your delicious sauce is ready to use.
Another take on this sauce is the famous Alfredo sauce. Instead of using a roux of white flour and butter, we use heavy cream in it. Alfredo sauce is perfect for pastas, chicken and fish. However, white sauce is perfect for pizza since it is not very runny and takes very little time to make.