A basic Margherita pizza has three ingredients – tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and basil. My Margherita pizza recipe is very easy. I use ready pizza sauce, pre-sliced mozzarella from Costco, and basil from my kitchen garden. I use homemade pizza dough but you can also use store-bought dough for the pizza.
Click here for my pizza dough recipe. I use the Zojirushi bread machine but you could also use a stand mixer or your hands to make the dough. The bread machine is very handy since you can dump all your ingredients in it and set a timer. In a couple of hours, your pizza dough is ready for that perfect homemade pizza with the freshest dough.
I have tried different types of mozzarella cheeses for this pizza and I have noticed that certain brands of cheese melt better than others. I prefer the Costco pre-sliced cheese as it melts better than other brands. You may have to experiment a little before you find your favorite.
You can make your own pizza sauce but in this Margherita pizza recipe, I have used a basic store-bought pizza sauce. I buy them in bulk and store them in the pantry. This recipe calls for fresh basil, which is available in the produce section of most stores. It’s also very easy to grow from seeds. I also save seeds.
Easy Margherita Pizza Recipe
- pizza dough homemade or store-bought
- 7-8 leaves fresh basil
- 4-5 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 tbsp pizza sauce
- Pre-heat the oven to 400° F.
- Roll the dough using a rolling pin or just your hands, letting gravity do its work on the dough. Please check the video.
- Place the dough base on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet or a hot pizza stone.
- Spread pizza sauce on the base, avoid getting close to the edges.
- Top it with pre-sliced mozzarella cheese and some fresh basil leaves.
- Bake it for about 10-12 minutes or until the cheese melts.