Goan chicken curry or chicken xacuti goes great with rice, rotis, freshly baked bread, wadas or good old laadi pav. Again, this is a simple recipe if you have the Goan curry masala ready to go in your freezer. Check out the recipe for the curry masala base here.
I remember growing up, my mother used to make this chicken curry on one Sunday a month. We consumed more fish than any other form of animal protein. So having chicken on that one Sunday felt so blissful. My dad would go to the market and buy freshly cut chicken. The aroma of ground ginger and garlic and all the beautiful spices would fill up the house. We would eat to our hearts’ content and I always remember taking a long nap after lunch. Cooking this curry on a weekend makes me nostalgic.
I have used boneless, skinless thighs in my Goan chicken curry recipe but traditionally we used a whole cut chicken instead of specific cuts. Try it and you’ll crave for more. I also add cut up potatoes to the curry sometimes.
Goan Chicken Curry Recipe
- Wash and cut chicken into small pieces.
- Marinate the chicken with salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin-coriander powder, garam masala and ginger-garlic paste. Set aside for at least an hour.
- In a pan heat some oil and saute onions till they turn golden brown.
- Add marinated chicken and brown it on all sides.
- Add some water and cover and cook until chicken is done.
- Add the Goan curry masala and simmer for some time.
- Add more water if needed and salt to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only. Actual numbers may be different from those provided below. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Happy Eating and Feeding!